top of page

Federal Regulations

wood duck

  A Federal Fish and Wildlife permit is required to sell, trade, give away or otherwise dispose of any migratory waterfowl that are protected under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act. This permit is not required to only possess these birds. This permit is not required to trade, sell, give away or otherwise dispose of any birds that are not listed on the Migratory Bird Treaty Act.  For more information about this permit please visit 

The link below is to the application for a waterfowl sale and disposal permit.

Below is a list of all ducks, geese and swans that are covered under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act ,this list can also be found on the US Fish and Wildlife website.

 Family ANATIDAE (Swans, Geese, and Ducks)
Dendrocygna bicolor, Fulvous Whistling-Duck
autumnalis, Black-bellied Whistling-Duck
arborea, West Indian Whistling-Duck
Cygnus columbianus, Tundra Swan
cygnus, Whooper Swan
buccinator, Trumpeter Swan
Anser fabalis, Bean Goose
albifrons, Greater White-fronted Goose
Chen caerulescens, Snow Goose
rossii, Ross' Goose
canagica, Emperor Goose
Branta bernicla, Brant
leucopsis, Barnacle Goose
canadensis, Canada Goose
(=Nesochen) sandvicensis, Hawaiian Goose
Aix sponsa, Wood Duck
Anas crecca, Green-winged Teal
formosa, Baikal Teal
falcata, Falcated Teal
rubripes, American Black Duck
fulvigula, Mottled Duck
platyrhynchos, Mallard
wyvilliana, Hawaiian Duck
laysanensis, Laysan Duck
bahamensis, White-cheeked Pintail
acuta, Northern Pintail
querquedula, Garganey
discors, Blue-winged Teal
cyanoptera, Cinnamon Teal
clypeata, Northern Shoveler
strepera, Gadwall
penelope, Eurasian Wigeon
americana, American Wigeon
Aythya ferina, Common Pochard
valisneria, Canvasback
americana, Redhead
baeri, Baer's Pochard
collaris, Ring-necked Duck
fuligula, Tufted Duck
marila, Greater Scaup
affinis, Lesser Scaup
Somateria mollissima, Common Eider
spectabilis, King Eider
fischeri, Spectacled Eider
Polysticta stelleri, Steller's Eider
Histrionicus histrionicus, Harlequin Duck
Clangula hyemalis, Oldsquaw
Melanitta nigra, Black Scoter
perspicillata, Surf Scoter
fusca, White-winged Scoter
Bucephala clangula, Common Goldeneye
islandica, Barrow's Goldeneye
albeola, Bufflehead
Mergellus albellus, Smew
Lophodytes cucullatus, Hooded Merganser
Mergus merganser, Common Merganser
serrator, Red-breasted Merganser
Oxyura jamaicensis, Ruddy Duck
dominica, Masked Duck


When purchasing any ducks, swans or geese from the above list the seller should provide you with a 3-186 form  pictured below.


This will be your proof that your birds were obtained from a permit holder and not taken from the wild.

Ducks, Swans, and geese not on the list above will not receive a 3-186 form. Only birds on the above Migratory Bird Treaty Act are regulated by the US Fish and Wildlife Services.

State Regulations

Each state has it's own regulations for owning wild animals, waterfowl included. You will need to contact your states wildlife resource department to find out what your state requires. Some states require an additional state permit. Some states will only require that you follow the federal regulations. Be patience but persistent when dealing with your states authorities, these officials deal primarily with hunting, fishing and other sportsman issues. They may not be familiar with the state regulations for owning wild waterfowl. In the worst case you may be told by someone who is misinformed or just unwilling to look up the requirements, that owning such birds is illegal in your state. If this should happen to you I would recommend calling offices in different counties or regions of your state until you eventually find someone willing to help you. At the time of this writing it is possible to legally own wild waterfowl in all states. An exception would be if you live in an area where owning animals is prohibited example a large city or a sub division.


It is also note worthy to mention here that a state can only require that you follow federal regulations, they can not change the federal regulations. They cannot add or take away species from the Migratory Bird Treaty Act. For example the state should not require you to obtain a federal permit to sell mandarins since they are not covered under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act

USDA Regulations

USDA (United States Department of Agriculture) regulations


The USDA has rules that regulate the movement of almost all animals across state lines. In most cases general health papers and some kind of testing for infectious disease is required to legally take an animal from one state to another. Examples of this are often seen at large auctions and shows, where you must have your paperwork in order to sell your animals or to compete. If the auction/show you are attending is in your state your requirements are normally less restrictive than if you are traveling out of your state. Requirements will vary from state to state. To find out requirements for bringing out of state animals into your state please visit the USDA web site link provided below.

In most states if the seller is a member of the  NPIP (national poultry improvement plan) this will meet the legal requirements for obtaining birds from out of state. NPIP members annually have their flocks tested for infectious diseases.  


If the seller is not an NPIP member or if NPIP doesn't meet your states requirements you can still legally obtain the birds by having your states required testing done before the birds enter the state.



Customers are solely responsible for knowing and abiding by all regulations set forth by any agency that may impose rules pertaining to their birds.


Mallard Lane Farms holds current state and federal permits for all species that require them.

Mallard Lane Farms is an NPIP approved farm.

When shipping birds our NPIP # along with federal 3-186 form (if needed) is attached to the outside of your shipping box.

If you require additional documents please inquire as to if we can provide them BEFORE purchasing birds.

If needed we can provide at buyers expense a general health certificate from our vet , cost is $85 for 1-50 birds. Request for health certificate must be made before purchasing birds.


We can not provide additional documents after your birds have been received.

bottom of page